Personlig bilde

H. Larsen Single shot sporter (Våpensamling)

av jke @, Wisconsin US, torsdag 29. desember 2016, kl. 21:40 (294 dager siden)

A fairly nice Larsen. Maybe someone would like to bring it home again? Although the price seems rather high. And someone should give him the boot for calling it Swedish :hammer2:
Not my rifle and I have no connection to the sale.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/single-shot-rifles-europea...

Personlig bilde

H. Larsen Single shot sporter

av Roy-Terje Kjoberg @, Sogn og Fjordane, torsdag 29. desember 2016, kl. 22:31 (294 dager siden) @ jke

He has been notified:ok:

Personlig bilde

av jæger justnæs @, Kristiansand, torsdag 29. desember 2016, kl. 22:31 (294 dager siden) @ jke

Well, isn't Sweden the capitol of Norway? ;-)
Nice piece but a fairly stiff price. I can't see that it is a very rare vaersion of the tennstempel rifle design.
Not sure if the caliber information is correct. If so, the barrel might be sleeved?

--
Best når det smeller!

av Old Colt @, torsdag 29. desember 2016, kl. 22:50 (294 dager siden) @ jke

I'd love to see this one returned to Norway! I politely told the seller where Mr. H. Larsen was from, (Not Sweden..!) and we'll see what comes out of it. The price is way too high, but maybe these "exotic" rifles fetch that kind of money state side??

Anyway, being from Drammen myself, I'd love to bring it home... I told the seller that I might be interested if the price was a bit more realistic.

(Curious as to the caliber designation, though....)

Best regards Old Colt (with a healthy and growing interest in Scandinavian firearms!) ;-)

Personlig bilde

av Trond ⌂ @, Oslo (nov-mars) Brekkestø resten av året, fredag 30. desember 2016, kl. 03:01 (294 dager siden) @ Old Colt

Well, the problem is that I doubt that it is from Drammen - it looks very much like a Belgium run-of-the-mill Larsen and the caliber more or less confirms that this is something from the mid 1880's. Anyhow, I've written the following to him:

Well, eh - very few around? My grandchildren were here at Christmas and counted 29 different "tennstempel rifles" of a total of 56 Larsen rifles + a number of relics in the basement. I've made a little page on the net on Larsen and it seems that you probably have read it as some of the information you give is difficult to obtain, but in Norwegian, elsewhere. - http://norskevaapen.no/?p=513

The rifle you have might be a bit interesting in all it's simplicity - if it really was produced in Drammen and not just sold through the Drammen store. The barrel is Belgium. The serial number is way to high to be a Drammen produced rifle, on the other hand Mr Larsen was very sloppy with his serial numbers. If it has the Belgium ELG in an oval under the barrel, you're stuck with a max worth of US$ 1400 delivered and including VAT in Norway. Then it just another of the 10-20 000 (or perhaps even more) Belgium made Larsen rifles, and even a rather plain and slightly tatty one of them - produced between 1877 and 1886.

If, however, it does not have the ELG anywhere, then it just might be a bit more exiting, but hardly enough for US$ 3000 + freight + VAT.

Some Larsen tennstempel rifles are scarce, the ones with the stock of one continues piece of wood and the ones with the hammer placed in the middle of the rifle. Even more scarce are the one with one piece of wood and the hammer in the middle:

[image]

Here the top one has a continues stock all the way, but a conventional placing of the hammer. The second one has the conventional parted stock by the lock, but the centre placed hammer. The third one has everything! Central placed hammer + one continues stock all the way. These are more worth than the ones made in the thousands!

[image]

Here I've picked out the two top ones with virtually the identical mechanism of the one offered for sale in the US, but... Both of these are proven to be made in Drammen. The caliber shows that they at the latest are from 1885, but probably from the late 1870's and they are gorgeous! Beautifully carved, all the extras etc. These are worth just about what is asked for the one for sale (+).

The third one is an ultra rare one. I have one almost identical for paper cartridges, this one is for conventional ones. I've not managed to find the patent date for either of the last two, but my guess is that the first one must be from somewhere between 1861 and 1864, the one on the picture here is most probably something on special order from about 1870. I paid the equivalent of US$ 5000 for this one some 10-15 years ago, still believing it is a one-off.

--
Norwegian Military Small-arms 1604-WW2

Trond

Personlig bilde

av Trond ⌂ @, Oslo (nov-mars) Brekkestø resten av året, fredag 30. desember 2016, kl. 13:28 (293 dager siden) @ Trond

I see that the resolution is not good enough to see the wonderful details on the two pictures in the last posting. Hopefully these will be somewhat better. I've also added a forth rifle in order to "prove" that even these fantastic pieces of workmanship and quality still are to be found in pretty nice condition.

[image]

#1 & #4 have a lot in common. #2 also has a beautiful fluted barrel. #3 has wonderful engraving and a lovely stags heat with glass eyes carved on the bottom of the rear stock.

[image]

The six (ok - seven) rifles I show here are of serious high quality, are either ultra rare or extremely lavishly decorated - or both. And rifles like these will demand a serious price. Belgium run-of-the-mill by the many thousands are, even if they are of Larsen design - still just another mass produced civilian rifle. Of high quality? Definitely! But value? Less than half what is stated + shipping and VAT costs in Norway.

--
Norwegian Military Small-arms 1604-WW2

Trond

Personlig bilde

av jke @, Wisconsin US, fredag 30. desember 2016, kl. 16:12 (293 dager siden) @ Trond

Thank you for the pictures and words Trond. You have a beautiful collection. :-)

RSS på tråd