Norwegian Pictures

Started by Fabian23, 07. March 2009 kl. 14:34:22

Previous topic - Next topic

jke

Things seem a little slow here on the English side so I thought I would spice them up with a couple pictures. Here is a fairly nice L.H. Hagen & Co. from Christiania.
Of course the Aquavit is to be enjoyed when looking at the pictures, after the rifle is back in the safe.;-) :-P

Fabian23

"fairly" good example?  That's gorgeous :clap:

The Linie aqavit is also often sampled in my household :vinkasse:

Do you shoot with it?
Give me iron, steel and wood!  Tupperware guns are for losers!

My website, growing entry by entry:http://www.militarygunsofeurope.eu[/url]

jke

Hello Fabian,
I have not shot it yet. I am not sure of the caliber. A 10.15X61 Jarmann seems to fit correctly but the falling block does not close all the way on the case...I guess it's time for a chamber cast and some bore slugging.

Best Wishes, John

Fabian23

Yep, best to check!  Looks like it would be a handy hunting rifle.

jæger justnæs

That's a nice tennstempelrifle you've got there!
Since it is a Hagen and the 10,15 does not seem to fit I'm prettty certain it's  chambered for the 10,2 Hagen. Bullet diameter is larger and the shell is shorter.
Best regards
JJ

Above images from the Norwegian book "Cartridge Cases" by Andersen, Andresen and Strømstad.
Best når det smeller!

jke

Thank you jæger justnæs.:ikkeverdig: I am very glad you told me about the 10.2 and poster the images.
It looks like it will be longer than I had thought before I will be shooting it.
Is it possible to make the 10.2 Hagen from the 10.15?

Many thanks, John

Fabian23

Looks like it could be trimmed lengthwise and fire-formed but the main problem is the slightly smaller base and rim dimensions.  If the Jarmann cases are thick enough then the base and rim could be turned down a bit on a lathe.

jæger justnæs

I guess the .348 Winchester would be a good choice for making the 10,2 Hagen.
The length would be fairly correct when fire-formed and there is enough brass at the base to turn it down a bit.
Measures in a catalogue may differ from the chamber so making a chamber cast is always the best way to go.
Mind you, the rifle may still be chambered for the 10,15 Jarmann.
Keep up the good work, the tennstempel rifles are nice pieces for shooting and hunting.:ok:
Here's a photo from a shooting session with two of mine. My friend is letting a Larsen 12,17x44R spit flames while I enjoy the scene, toting a Larsen with Hagen barrel chambered for 10,15 Jarmann.
JJ
Best når det smeller!

Fabian23

How does the action work?

jæger justnæs

> How does the action work?
The lever is lifted upward by the release knob in front. The pivot makes the block retract and tilt the front end down. Pretty neat contraption. One some of the later models the pivot also activates the extractor whereas on the earlier models the extractor is activated by the downward pressure of the tilted block.
This kind of lever was used on militry breechloading rifles but then the movement of the lever made the chamber retract and tilt up in front. It is obvious that the contemporary gunsmiths saw the value of a popular mechanism. I believe that Hans Larsen from Drammen was the one that made most variations and was first out with civilian "coffee-grinder lever" rifles.
Please take a look at Trond's home page to learn more about the subject.

Best regards
JJ
The picture below is from a late Hagen "Herkules" tennstempelrifle.
Best når det smeller!

Fabian23

Seems like a combination  of the lever and camming action of the kammerlader with the tilting breechblock for the Martini system. Clever!

jke

Oh,
So that is what they look like on the inside. I have not taken mine apart yet. Your picture will be of help when it is time for a cleaning, thank you JJ :-D

Fabian, Here are a couple pictures of the breech block on mine.

RussianBerdan

Fabian23 imaging a Krag-Petersson with a lever to move the bolt:-) This is a tennstempel riflet. But the progect of this kind of rifles was made before the Karg-Petersson

regards

Trond

Well, this is actally a Belgium produced Larsen, sold through Hagen. I do't believe Hagen started any "direct production" in Belgium before in the early 1890's. This model is from around 1880.

The tennstempel rifles come in "all shapes and forms". Here is a selection of Larsen's & Hagen's.

There are also a number of really fun copies of the Larsen's. Here is Mr. Krag's version - later used in the basic design of the Krag Peterson:

This is a military prototype made at Kongsberg about 1872 - a stolen design from Larsen!

Trond

jke

Hello Trond,
Those are a very impressive and beautiful group of tennstempel rifles you have there! Thank you for sharing the pictures with us.

Best, John