Kammerlader 4 Linje Loading

Started by Pommy, 30. March 2018 kl. 23:12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsaranon

I ran across a website that has a Kammerlader for sale that's described as being a M1860 4 Linje/11.77mm. I've looked into this and learned what that entails, and from what I can tell, it's impossible to find information and products related to loading a 4 linje rather than the original 18 lødig.

I even went ahead and contacted the store who owns the gun. I was told to contact Brian McEldowney. Doing so got me a confused voicemail where he told me that I should disregard the 11.77mm because it's some "metric stuff". He told me that people usually load .50 in it, recommending .50 minie ball. The problem is that from what I can gather, a 4 Linje is a .46 chamber (or is it a .46 bore?). It seems like it would break something to try and slip a .50 ball into it.

So I turn to the masses, in the hopes that someone might be able to give me a second opinion. What does one load into the 4 linje? Are there any bullet molds out there for it? How much powder goes with it?

Øyvind F.

All the naval and army 4''' kammerlader rifles were converted to metallic cartridge, so I assume this is a civilian rifle with the percussion chamber intact?

.50 caliber bullets are a bit on the large side. These rifles used a paper hollow-base patched bullet similar to the British Enfield, bit of course scaled down to fit the kammerlader bore. The diameter before patching was 11,77mm (.463"). There were also civilian versions that were .470" (11,96mm).

I have both an original mould and custom made mould. Here's a custom made by Steve Brooks:

I'm sure there are bullets that can be made to fit the kammerlader. Grease groove bullets should have a diameter of around 12,3mm (.484"). Beware not to use too large diameter bullets, because these rifles were known to blow up if used with improper ammunition.
Øyvind F. - forum admin
Ta også en kikk på kammerlader.no.

Tsaranon

Do you think he'd be able to replicate a mould if someone were to end up with the rifle I saw for sale?

Pommy

Oyvind, what is the weight & length of the 4''' hollowbase bullet?

Øyvind F.

The original hollow base bullet was 28,24 mm (1.112") long and weighed 390 grains. Diameter before patching was 11,77 mm (.463").
Øyvind F. - forum admin
Ta også en kikk på kammerlader.no.