Antique Civil War Bullet Mould

Started by Shaughn, 19. August 2009 kl. 5:02:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaughn

I was wandering around on Ebay and I came across this mould Auction number 160356287008, Title "Antique Civil War gun/rifle bullet mold for cartridges" and it's design looks similar to some of the bullets I have seen on this forum.

So, I figured some here would appreciate the heads up.

Oh, wasn't sure where to place it, but the design looks more like a breach loader than that of a Muzzle Loader.

Regards,

Shaughn

Øyvind F.

I don't think it is Norwegian or even Scandinavian. It is too pointy for a kammerlader bullet, at least, but it may well be European. The Italian Garibaldi (Carcano) bullets were somewhat similar, but not identical to the eBay bullet mould.

However, everything that is put out on eBay seems to be marketed at 'Civil war items', but that does not necessarily mean that it actually was used in the Civil War. It can be a post-war make bullet mould for a musket used in the Civil War or something like that.

All that being said, it would have been interesting to try it in a kammerlader :-)
Øyvind F. - forum admin
Ta også en kikk på kammerlader.no.

Fabian23

Just comparing the size of the mould block with the cavity it appears to be relatively small caliber too, maybe a .45" derivative for 45-70gvt.  Most civil war rifles had .58" - .69" barrel.
Give me iron, steel and wood!  Tupperware guns are for losers!

My website, growing entry by entry:http://www.militarygunsofeurope.eu[/url]

Øyvind F.

I now noticed that in the description the seller says that the bullet it makes measures:  11/16" x 11/32", which I guess is about .69" x .343". Then it is definately not a Scandinavian bullet :-)
Øyvind F. - forum admin
Ta også en kikk på kammerlader.no.