2-die and 3-die set differences?

Started by David Carlson, 08. March 2014 kl. 15:16:54

Previous topic - Next topic

David Carlson

Hello,

I just got a basic kit for reloading black powder cartridges.  I'll be loading .43 Spanish/11.15x58r for a Remington Modelo 1879 Argentino Patria rifle with three bands.  I have seen die sets with two components and others with three.  Can members explain why some die sets use two dies and others three?  Is three preferable?  I do know that I will need a compression die, but as far as I can tell, this would be in addition to the two or three die sets in .43 Spanish.

Thanks! :hungry:

Graham

The third die is often a flaring, neck sizing or expanding die. Two die set does not flare the case mouth. In a two die set, the first die deprimes and sizes the case, and as the case is pulled from the die the neck is pulled over the expander ball on the decaping rod, normaly opening the case mouth up just enough to give a good tight fit to the bullet shank. It just opens/expands the case mouth after sizing without flaring it. This may or may not be enough.

I see the Lee .43 Spanish two die set includes a full length sizer, bullet seater and roll crimper, built in stuck case remover, long guided expander. But you can also purchase a neck expaner die separately.