Black powder proofreaders needed!

Started by Øyvind F., 25. November 2009 kl. 10:42:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Øyvind F.

These days I'm finalising the English translation of my black powder book (19 pages left!). :-D The English edition is planned to be an revised and expanded version of the Norwegian version – probably with a couple of new chapters. Hopefully I will get it published next year.

Since I'm not an English native speaker, I seek people who can proofread the manuscript, including syntax, grammar, text flow and so on – a person who can make sure that the text it is sensible, correct, and accurate. In addition, I need black powder shooters to proofread the content, and look for factual errors, typos and similar. Contact me if you want to help out!

I have not settled on which new chapters to include, but the candidates are, in prioritised order:
  • The Jarmann rifle
  • Paper patched bullets
  • The Nagant Revolver
  • The Martini-Henry rifle
  • The Sharps rifle
  • Long-range shooting

Do you have any other suggestions for chapters?
Øyvind F. - forum admin
Ta også en kikk på kammerlader.no.

jke

Hello Øyvind,
I am not very good at grammar. But I am fairly good at logical flow. If I can be of help just let me know.

IMHO, I would enjoy seeing as much as possible about the Scandinavian arms. There is very little in written in English about black powder Norwegian arms. But you can find very many books about the American and English guns in any bookstore. So I feel a book mainly on Norwegian guns would sell more because it would be the only one in the book store. :-D

If I can make one more suggestion, lots of quality color pictures. I see lots of gun books that are mainly pictures of beautiful guns with very little text. They seem to sell very well in America, and for a very high price.

Kindest regards, John

Øyvind F.

Thanks to all of you who have offered to help. I'll contact you when I have worked a bit more with the manuscript. Just four more pages left to translate now! :-D

You are probably right about the Scandinavian perspective on the book. It already has a Scandinacian viewpoint, and chapters on the kammerlader and 12 mm Remington, but I'm thinking of a chapter on Scandinavian civilian firearms as well. Not much has been written on the subject in English I think.

Books with high quality pictures and glossy paper are expensive to print for the publishers, and they are always expensive. I'm also thinking of making an e-book edition, for example the Amazon kindle format, mostly because I'm curious about the format. That's new technology, but it is probably the future for the publishing business. However, in my opinion, nothing beats real paper books!
Øyvind F. - forum admin

jke

"a chapter on Scandinavian civilian firearms"
:clap:
That sounds like a winner! When can I place my order:-D

Andre` R. Schofield

I'd be happy to proof read your material. Give me something to do now that I'm retired. I have 35 years experience in factual based writing.   I have excellent grammar, spelling and ordering skills.  I can provide references if you wish.

Andre` R. Schofield

Øyvind F.

> I'd be happy to proof read your material. Give me something to do now that I'm retired. I have 35 years experience in factual based writing.   I have excellent grammar, spelling and ordering skills.  I can provide references if you wish.

Message sent. :-)
Øyvind F. - forum admin