Swedish M1851 Kammerlader?

Started by krinko, 21. March 2015 kl. 3:54:22

Previous topic - Next topic

krinko

These are first photos, taken in haste with a cell phone; better detail photos coming soon. If I am not too lazy.

I had to search a long time to find even a photo of the kammerlader with this ring hammer and internal spring---found it on this site, a post from about 2008. Am I correct in calling this a Swedish M1851?

Date on the stock and bottom of barrel is 1854; internal parts are nearly perfect after 161 years.

Barrel is 26 3/4 inches long and seems to be about 54 caliber.

I have the rifle apart now and am seriously wondering if the crack---visible in the side photo---will interfere with my plans to fire this rifle. The crack is repeated on the left side and would seem to be a result of the wood shrinking around the receiver. The hammer will not cock when the rifle is in the stock, I think because the wood has shrunk and will not allow the large mainspring to rise far enough.
If I have to make a new stock for firing purposes, I will.
-----krinko

krinko

Here is the bottom of the barrel---

Any translation of the marks will be appreciated. Is "AH" a maker's mark?

Here is the interesting ring hammer lock in the cocked position. The lock is in perfect working order.

More photos later, anything you want to see?
-----krinko

Øyvind F.

Sure, keep the photos coming. I've posted a link to this thread to the Norwegian forum. An identical rifle was discussed there a while ago: http://forum.svartkrutt.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=17111
Øyvind F. - forum admin
Ta også en kikk på kammerlader.no.

Eldar Gulli

Welcome to the world of old guns .

I shoot my Swedish chamberloader despite all its cracks and imperfections with no ill effects .

In addition to the old cracks coming with the gun at the time of purchase
I had to do some repair on the stock after having lost the rifle on the ground
with rather devastating outcome .

The reason why it doesn't stay cocked with lock mounted in woodwork may have its explanation in the fact that the screw holding the lock in place is too long ,
and may benefit from loosing a bit of its length .
You may experience difficulties in getting parts to fit properly in woodwork
because of shrinkage or/and  -  as was the case with my example - you may have to
grind of small amounts of material from the metalparts as well as modifying the woodwork to improve the general fit of the components - both steel and wood .

All the above mentioned theories are difficult to ascertain without having seen the rifle in reality .

The caliber of the gun is about .60" or 15 mm .

Bulletmould is available from "Accurate moulds" in the US .
It is to be found in this firms catalogue under the name of "59-470S"

Don't know if this was of any help at all , but I wish you the best of luck with your Swedish chamberloader .

krinko

Thank you, Eldar, for your assistance. A mould from Accurate is the first order of business.
-----krinko

krinko

Mould has arrived, bullets are cast and I have found that U.S. musket caps are too large for the Swedish nipple. Bah!

I AM going to shoot this rifle, no matter what.
-----krinko

Yes, Eldar, the top screw goes in too far and blocks the hammer from going to full cock. I have made a cone washer to hold the screw higher and this problem seems cured. Thanks again for the tip.
-----k.

Maurice Taylor

Dear Mr Krinko I found your  message by chance while looking over  Chamber Loaders I have on the same as yours  1845 AH  no 166  barrel about 33 inches inc breech I used a heavily patch  o/s Snider bullet   my stock was cut down shows cracks as you describe  likely too thin  as its heavy  I gather its  Naval pattern  but one authority disputed the date but he was more up on his Norwegian arms ,   mine shot fair figure of a man at 100 yards  but   expect could do better given the correct betting suiting  bullet .( I use the term figure of a man in its original context  the target was a ISU standard  card ). Seem to be fairly rare birds I have a  Kammerlader 1846/59 with later sight  (if lost)  I restocked it as there was no stock just the Brl & lock .. Bought mine a Friendship  Indiana
 years ago .  Regards  Maurice

50-110EX

This is my first post on this forum.
Here are some Pictures of my Swedish Kammerlader

The gun  has probably never been fired...
I will make a change to that this spring :-D