American longrifle

Started by Iceburn, 30. August 2007 kl. 15:37:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceburn

I really enjoy the longrifle project. Inspired by Death wind I plan on having a
longrifle made myself. Does anyone know what a rifle like Death Wind will cost me? Does makers like Bookout have huge backlogs? What kind of longrifles and
makers do you recommend? My rifle will mainly be used for hunting deer.

Thanks
Iceburn

Bookie

Hej Iceburn!

Your question, although simple and direct, requires several answers as there are several options open to you.  A rifle similar to Dodsvinden will cost somewhere between $1500 to $2000 US, because of the hand work involved to make the triggers and furniture.  

Hand rifled barrels also cost a premium.  Not using electricity and using wooden tools jack up the price.      

Similar rifles can be made with store bought hardware, less figured wood used, and a percussion lock instead of a flinter to reduce the cost. I have built similar rifles in the $700 to $1000 price range, but do remember that the cost of parts is rising all the time and a typical set of GOOD parts averages between $400 and $600.  The hand labor costs do not raise as much as the parts, but still, the maker must realize a profit if he is to remain in business.  I no longer will make a rifle for $0.23 per hour of work!

Custom makers are always in demand and the back log of customers can take years to satisfy. Some customers will purchase parts over a period of time before the rifle is assembled so there will not be a large layout of money all at once.  I typically require 1/2 of the cost at time I start the rifle and the other half, plus shipping fees, when the gun is ready to be delivered to the customer.  If you have other questions, I invite you to email me, but be advised, I am not accepting any new customers.  

Cheers,  Steve "Bookie" Bookout, Newton, Iowa, USA

Øyvind F.

It's a pleasure to have you on board, Bookie! Your rifles are indeed highly recommeded.

:ok:
Øyvind F. - forum admin
Ta også en kikk på kammerlader.no.

Iceburn

Thanks for your reply Bookout. I admire your work and your rifles seems to be accurate too according to Oyvind's experiences with Death Wind. Are you a shooter yourself or just a builder?

Bookie

Thanks for the comments, Iceburn.  To answer your question: Been building since 1974.  

Been shooting since 1960. Guess that makes me an old fart! :-D Bookie