Kongsberg Jaeger rifle

Started by Dusty Texian, 10. June 2016 kl. 15:03:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Texian

Hello All. I have just had the good fortune of finding and purchasing a what I thik is an 1821/41/51 Kongsberg Jaeger rifle . The rifle has just arrived and I have done no more than give it a good look over. The first thing noticable is the as attic found condition, Not dirty but not cleaned. The brass is tarnished the barrel and other steel parts are mostly gray , with the lock being a brighter pollish . The wood is rather nice and appears to be birch and has an aged dark color. The sliding wood patch box cover is matching and is numbered as the other parts to this rifle . I did measure the bore at the muzzle after a solvent cleaning of the grease coating and found a very bright shiney bore and 5 five rifle groove bore . @ .720" . I was ver impressed with the bore condition. The pillar can be seen and appears to be in great shiney and pointed condition , the rear of the chamber is shiney and clean . The only parts missing that I can see are the front sight. The front brass muzzle endcap. And the chamber scraper and cleaning worm are missing from the wooden box in the stock. The rifle does have the graduated rear sight , the dog catch on the lock , and the sling attachments forend and trigger gaurd . I will try and post a photo of the rifle when I get some new photograph's taket . For now I will try and post the photograph from the advertisement that promted me to purchase this fine old Kongsberg Jaeger Rifle . Thank You for your interest , I would like to hear from anyone that cares to contribute . Ron Wehmeyer

Dusty Texian

Hello All. I have a few questions about this Kongsberg rifle , as noted the rifle is missing the  brass fore end cap, looking at the rifle stock and barrel , I do not see how the brass cap would have been held onto the barrel and wood. If anyone may know how these were held in place I would greatly appreciate the information. I am also looking for the front sight blade height/and thickness measurement . I will make a new front sight when I can get measurements.  Thank You , Ron Wehmeyer ,,,DT .

Dusty Texian

Here is another photograph of the Kongsberg rifle . The rifle is in very good condition for as old as it is. A bump here and there but no harm. Ron.

jke

Hello and congratulations on a wonderful rifle.
I can give you the information in a couple days when I am feeling a bit better. I have 2 of them with one original bayonet. And also a source for a reproduction worm, they might also have the other parts.

jke

Dusty Texian

Thank you for your reply, and offer. I will get in touch with the Rifle Shop on Monday. Glad to know you have two of these rifles. Have you shot them? If so do you recommend a bullet mould? I do have .700 Round Balls . Will try them . After I install the front sight and get a chamber scraper. Hope you get well, Ron.

Dusty Texian

Another look at the missing foren cap.Ron

jke

Hi Ron,

I do not shoot mine as I feel that they are too much of a treasure and should be preserved as best I can, just too much of a risk to damage such a fine piece of history. Although I do shoot some of my collection but they are the somewhat more common guns.
Many Norwegian collectors feel that these guns should stay in Norway as they are part of their history and culture. And I cannot blame them for feeling that way, hopefully they are saving their money to buy my collection when it is time to pass them on. Always nice to know something you enjoy is going to a good home.  ;-)

Dusty Texian

Mr. John , I do respect your comment on not firing the old rifle . Some feel that way. I do not agree , I am no stranger to loading and firing very old rifles . I have an extensive collection of 1876 and 1873 Winchesters  among others that are fired and hunted with on ocassion. After yrs of using these old rifles as they were intended to be used I have found no harm done to the firearms. My first priority towards an antique firearm is its best interest even if that may cause me a financial loss, I would never do anything knowingly to hurt or destroy a piece of history .I hope to pass along all of my antique firearms in good or better than found condition, to the next caretaker . But at the present I will enjoy them as they were built for in the hunting fields and on the shooting range . They are still making history! I do appreciate your response and comments .      Respectfully  Ron Wehmeyer ,,,DT

jæger justnæs

I'm pretty sure this is not a Kongsberg 1821. The stock is to be birch, your shows clear signs of being made from beech. Altso, the "tail" on the lockplate does not fit in. I'm guessing it's a Danish M1803 or similar with an S-shaped sideplate that has been in Norwegian service and converted to percussion/pillar breech/new bayonet at Kongsberg. Hence the K markings.
Again; your lockplate does not look like the 1791 or 1803 either. Please compare yours with an M1821/41/51 at Trond's webside.

Regards, Tor
Best når det smeller!

Dusty Texian

You are right , the side-plate is (S) shape . I noticed this , that it was not like the others I have seen in photograph's . The (S) style side plate does not cover the I think trigger pin. I will continue to study this rifle , as I find it most interesting.There are some numbers that are stamped near the trigger guard into the wood , I will post a picture when the sun is up . I hope you look at these numbers and tell me if they mean anything to you. This rifle has a fit and feel /balance that fits me well. I am seriously thinking of building a duplicate made from new materials of course. I would not change a thing caliber included. I think this type rifle would serve me well. As I primarily hunt big game here.Thank You for sharing your knowledge with me . RW

jke

Greetings Tor,

I am very glad someone with more knowledge than me has come to save the day.
You are correct about the lockplate but if is not a 1821 what do you think they can be? As it appears both of mine are the same model also. Also strange that at one time they were fitted for the 1801 bayonet.

jke

Picture of barrel markings....

jke

Dusty,

The front band is held on by a screw.

Dusty Texian

John Thank You very much, that is most helpful .RW

Dusty Texian

John those are two very fine Jaeger rifles.RW

Dusty Texian

A picture of my barrel numbers. RW

jke

Hi Dusty,

The main reason I don't shoot them is I am afraid of the wood cracking, I am sure that the metal parts would hold up well.
And I am not a fanatic about it, just a worry wart. :-D

Dusty Texian

Mr. John understood. The light colored stock Jaeger looks to be near as issued condition. While the other looks like it has taken on the dark color as mine has. Note 28-3/4" Swamped barrel. RW .

jæger justnæs

Really nice pieces, you guys!
On the latest picture of yours Dusty Texian it is obvious that it has the correct lock for a 1791/1803. It was the dog catch which concealed the cannelures that pulled my leg. Let me take a moment to study the pics and see if I can work something out :-)

Edit: The remains from the M1801 bayonet fits like a glove, since the M1791 was converted and called M1801 and the M1803 came with the M1801 bayonet as well. I'm a bit uncertain what differs the two models, some minor details for sure. Maybe the ramrod pipes are more "flared" on the M1803?
If you won't mind - here's a picture of my M1803 replica:

Looks quite awesome with the bayonet attached but was (and is) pretty awkward to shoot with.
Tried a few shots with in mounted on saturday. Great fun but i didn't shoot as straight as without ;-)
Best når det smeller!