Hans Larsen???

Started by DaJoPa, 21. February 2019 kl. 18:19:06

Previous topic - Next topic

DaJoPa

Hello Forum,
i recently purchased a rifle of which I know very little. I am told it is a Hans Larsen design but I have never seen a rifle like this. As far as I can see the rifle is chambered for the 12mm Norwegian cartridge. The falling block is fitted with a rimfire firing-pin but this can be changed for a centrefire firing-pin. Can anyone give me any information about the rifle, the markings and the maker.
With best regards,
DaJoPa

Øyvind F.

I see that it's marked "H. L. D." which might indicate "Hans Larsen Drammen". jæger justnæs suggested that it's possibly a trial rifle of some sort?
Øyvind F. - forum admin
Ta også en kikk på kammerlader.no.

DaJoPa

Ovind, thank you for your answer.
The gun has a wellmade stock for a trial-rifle. All the separate parts are marked with the number 41 so there must be made more of these rifles, I think. It also has a good trigger-action,isn't it possible it is built as a target rifle?
Greetings, DaJoPa

Trond

I'm, sort of, the self appointed expert on Hans Larsen here in Norway and have some 50 of these in my collection. I've seen a lot of Larsen tennstempel rifles, but have never seen exactly this version and never one that seems this 'unfinished'.

The wood seems to be stained flamed birch that Mr. Larsen used a lot, but there are a number of 'but's'. Larsen used sliders and not bands in the late '60's and early '70's. There are no traces of sliders been used. This mechanism is from between 1866 and 1875. The rear sight is just nonsense. The cleaning rod is all wrong. The lock lookes a bit too tall and a bit too short and the crank way too short. Most important, I've never seen a Larsen rifle marked like this.

My very rough guess is that this might be the work to obtain an apprentice title by one of his employees.

The picture shows two Larsen tennstempel rifles from around 1865-70. The one you have, looks a lot like the bottom one, but is not identical.

lixonn

Mr self appointed Larsen expert truly disappoints. Just because youve never seen a gun like that doesnt mean that its not a legitimate Larsen. Unfinished gun? Really? How about a remote possibility that the gun is completely worn out? Judging by the faint stampings I can tell with a 100% guarantee this gun was finished and worn and possibly even cleaned up. Ridiculous rear sight? Unusual, true. Did you know this sight is adjustible?  And it also happens last week I picked up an identical rifle at a Chicago gun show, mine was finished, or should I say refinished because the stamps on it were rather faint, especially on the left side of the receiver where Jan Mayen is stamped.

lixonn

A configuration like that( barrel bands instead of sliders) is a sign of a military rifle. Serial numbers on small parts also support this theory, Im not aware of a single sporting gun that had serial numbers stamped on small parts. I was trying to post a picture of my gun that is identical to yours but I couldnt, this weird website only allows to post links and urls, doesnt allow me to upload a picture

Øyvind F.

Like on any other website you have to register to post pictures.

Jan Mayen is Norwegian island in the Arctic Ocean and such a marking may indicate that the rifle has been used by seal hunters. From the 1850s, Norwegian and Scottish seal hunters were equipped with rifles from Larsen. First kammerlader rifles, but later also metallic cartridge rifles. These rifles were used in rough conditions and can explain the military-style configuration. If it was a true military rifle however, it would have had a bayonet lug.

The original poster's rifle is marked with #12. Is your rifle numbered?
Øyvind F. - forum admin

DaJoPa

Hello lixonn, thank you for your response on the forum. I am glad there has turned up another rifle like mine. I an very curious about your rifle. How is it marked? Please post some pictures.
My rifle is to well made to be the work of an apprentice and the numbers on the separate parts makes it very likely the was made a series of these rifles.
The comment from Ovind about the seal hunters is very interesting, because naval guns often have brass parts because of the corrosion. Does anybody know more about these hunting rifles?

jke

Well, Looks like there are at least three of them, perhaps all from the same collection? Here is one I recently purchased.

DaJoPa

Well, the world of guns is full with surprises. I am pretty sure now, my rifle is a genuine Hans Larsen. I would like to know, how the two other rifles on this post, are marked on top of the chamber. Next question, are the small parts of the other rifles separatly marked and if so, what are the numbers? And are the bolts of the other rifles fitted for both rimfire and centrefire by changing the firing pin?

Øyvind F.

FYI: There's a thread about the same rifle at the Norwegian forum now: https://forum.svartkrutt.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=28003
Øyvind F. - forum admin

jke

There are 2 not 3 rifles. I just found out that I purchased Lixonn's rifle and did not know it.
And mine is rimfire only. Does your rifle use the same fireing pin for both rimfire and centerfire?

DaJoPa

Thank you Øyvind and thank you jke,
That is a lot of interesting information on the Norwegian forum. It seems very likely to me that these rifles are sealing rifles.
To change the bolt for centrefire cartridges, you would need a second firing pin, I only have the rimfire-firing pin.
The markings Jan Mayen on jke's rifle and Mar on mine seems to be the same lettertype. Did the ships belong to the same shipping-company? It is likely the letters were struck in by the owner afterwards and that is also the reason why they are so faint.
It is a pity that we only have two rifles now, but who knows.