Kammerlader markings questions

Started by jke, 04. October 2010 kl. 17:08:27

Previous topic - Next topic

jke

Greetings all,

I have recently seen two Kammerladers. The first one I think is a 1846/55 and the stock has a hard to read stamp. I think it is "INDHERRED". Is this the correct spelling? And does anyone know the meaning?

The second Kammerlader is a 1849/55. it is stamped "HEDEMARK" but also very hard to read. Can anyone please tell me the meaning of this stamp?

Thank You, John

jæger justnæs

I'll give you some infromation a bit later :-)

Regards JJ
Best når det smeller!

jke

Hello JJ,
Thank you very much for responding to my post. I look froward to any information you might have. :-)

John

jæger justnæs

No sweat, jke.
These data are from the book "Norske Kammerladningsgeværer og Karabiner for Hæren 1842 - 1877" by Harald Sunde. Unfortunatly, it's har to come by and as far as I know all the printing plates(?) were lost in a fire some years ago.
Ok, here goes:
The army was reorganized in 1834 and this setup was used until 1866. The infantry was divided into five "Infanteribrigader". These were divided into several "korps" which in their turn were split into "kompanier".

Among the korps from "Akershusiske Infanteribrigade":

And from the "Trondhjemske Infanteribrigade"

It is said that the kammerladers of the early days were stamped on the right hand side of the butt.
You will probably be able to tell which company they come from using the stamps usually placed on the heel of the buttplate.
I also recommend a visit at Trond's site.

Hope this information might be helpful.
Best regards JJ
Best når det smeller!

jke

Hello JJ,
Once again, a kindly thank you for the information.
Now I know just a little more about the guns history. :-D
The rifle with the "HEDEMARK" mark has no buttplate marks.
Although I am a little puzzled about the buttplate markings from the "Trondhjemske Infanteribrigade" rifle.

Best Regards, John

jæger justnæs

Quite exciting, as this marking tells me that it was used where come from and live!

Trondhjem is about in the middle of Norway, now the marking tells us that we're moving down south.
I can think of a couple of plausible explanations:
- The stock does not originally belong to the rest of the kammerlader.
  Does all numbers match?
- It was first used in Trondhjem then sent to the south - or the other way around.
Nevertheless; please take good care of it. BTW, it seems to get just that :-)
May one request an overall picture?

Best regards JJ
Best når det smeller!

jke

Hello JJ,
Thank you for more information.
All numbers match. But strange there is no year mark. Although the finish is almost all gone you can still see faint lines on the barrel from when it was made with twisted steel. The bore is near excellent but I do not think I will shoot this one. It is too much like royalty :-)
Sorry it took so long for the pictures. Had to wait for the sun :-)
If you would like any pictures of a certain area please let me know.

John

Trond

This is a German version from Hertzberg. There were made 1500 of these in Norway, Belgium & Germany - a total of 4500. most of the M1846/55 saw a lot of use, it is a pity that this one has been "restaured" instead of "conserved". The original finish is a light chocolade staining in barrel and the side plates of the reveiver, the rear sight should almost be greenish an the lever + chamber + hammer/spring etc. white steel.

Trond

jke

Greetings Trond,

Thank you very much for the additional information.
As always, It is a pleasure to hear from you again. :-)

Best Wishes, John

jæger justnæs

I can try to bring life to Trond's description of the finsih. Here's a couple of pics of a M1849/55 with about 90% of original finish. It has never been fired. As many old guns it has a few scratches, nicks and dents from storage and transportation.

JJ

Best når det smeller!

jke

What a wonderful rifle! To be in that good of a condition and over 150 years old. You can be very proud of that one indeed.
Thank You for sharing it with us.

John

Hahn

Hello! I'm new here, but i read the forum until i started to shoot black powder arms. I had no reason to subscribe, but .... I have bought the Kammerlader 1846/55 rifle from belgian contract (I think it is this model - Francotte on the wood, ELG marking, new sight and two screws where was the old one) and now I have the rifle and the reason to sign in. I try to read markings, but the book Haralds Sunde is not avaliable and in web found I only shadows of this hermetical, nordic wisdom.

On the butt-plate of my rifle is: WMC. What the Musketeer Corps was it?

jæger justnæs

Welcome to the forum board, Hahn.
I took this photo from the book:

Please look for more markings and you will be able to tell in which district it belonged.

Best regards JJ
Best når det smeller!

Hahn

Many thanks!

Above is photo of the butt-plate. I'll make more photos.
I saw on the swedish www site the markings of norwegian bayonets. There were also: WMC = PROBABLY VMC. Now I'm sure.

Here are shown markings on my rifle.

P.S. Now I wait for the mould from NEI.

Edit: Fixed link for markings. JJ

jæger justnæs

Glad to be of any help, congratulations on a fine kammerlader.
I see on the pictures in the link that the finish on the matal parts is a bit mixed up. Crisp pictures of a kammerlader in pretty good condition :-)

JJ
Best når det smeller!